Thursday, March 17, 2011

Today has been a rather blah day.  We've gone from beautiful, warm sunshine to windy, gray, rainy, chance of snow weather. 
I found the wind to be the weakness of my little green house as it was blown around my patio where I'd placed it and my plantings all blown about with it.  The tray that I'd planted the four different tomato varieties  in will now yield unknown varieties and only a couple of the 2 liter greenhouses survived.  :(
In an effort to cheer me up my sweetie took me to the lumber yard to price out materials for our garden beds.  We've settled on 4'wide x 6' long x 12" deep beds.  I figure that will allow me to reach into the middle of the beds for weeding and such.  I''m going to try and convince him that we need three of them instead of the two 8'x'8 beds we'd originally planned.   
While we were there I picked up some more seeds.  Cucumbers, green onions, radishes, beets, and spinach as well as dill and basil for the herb garden and portulaca or moss rose for the area around our mail box that currently goes to weeds.  I also grabbed some nasturtium seeds, I've heard that they're good for companion gardening in that they attract the pests away from your garden items.  They're also supposed to be delicious in salads too with a mild peppery flavor. 


Now, so this isn't a pictureless post, I want to share my first attempt at re-fashioning. I've been reading a lot of blogs centered on re-fashioning.  This is where you take a gently un-used item either from the thrift store or your own closet and re-fashion it into something you're happy to have in your closet.
While I love this concept I run into the issue that most of the un-used items in my closet are too small (waiting for me to loose those 15 lbs you know. Snark snark snark) usually in the below the waist area.  I've been so eager to try it though that I dug out my mending/alteration basket and found this.

Thankfully my shape isn't quite this lumpy, I've been trying to get my dressmakers form to match my form using batting and craft stuffing and so far it's been a rather epic fail.

This is a just below mid calf length knit dress with slits to the knee on both sides.  For starters, anywhere at the calf is a bad length on me I'm an above the knee or to the floor build for skirts .  And I don't know many women to whom horizontal stripes on the hips and thighs are kind to.   It fit perfectly up top though and I got to thinking how hard it was for me to get tops that are long enough to cover past my waistband.  So I pulled out the scissors and cut, (yay for stripes, they make great cutting lines) then serged my edge, turned it under once before threading a double needle and sewing around the hem. 
And voila!  I have a nice new top
 The hem did a bit of a ruffly thing where the serging and sewing stretched out the knit and I'm not quite sure how to keep that from happening but all in all I'm really pleased with how this came out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment