Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Salt Lake City Library - Free!


Another installment of my "What my family can do in Utah on a Sunday for $20 or less.

This Sunday was seriously overcast with promises of rain and gusty winds. Not something I wanted to be outside for. Still, I wanted to get out and do something.
Look at those clouds...and the building is petty too.

Welcome to the Salt Lake City Library which is (bless them) open until 5pm on Sunday's! Not only is it free to get in, but it's free to take stuff home! Ok, you do eventually have to give it back but still, what a deal!












Photo on the Left: Coming up to the library we have a lovely framed view of the Old Court House building, I want to live there, it's the closest thing Utah has to a castle. Photo on the Right: One of the beautiful water features on the Library grounds.



I've actually never been to this the "New" City Library even though it has been around for a few years now, I don't get downtown that much so stick mostly to the county library's. I was pretty wowed to walk in and get this...
How serendipitous that I got a picture of a local celebrity and his daughter. In the lower right is Bill Allred of Kerry, Bill and Gena fame from the Radio from Hell Show on X96.

What you see is three levels of learning, what you don't see is the Children's Library in the basement and the admin offices and the rooftop terrace one more level above.
The odd spotty thing you see center top is a cool art piece of hundreds of monarch butterflies reading books. I could kick myself for not getting a picture. What I loved was the fact that some of the butterflies are wired so the wings actually open and close. Just like real butterflies!
















Photo on the Left: Every floor has these stacked fireplaces and I think they're actually functional, how cool is that? You can veiw through one side to the other and see at least one fire from wherever you're standing.

Photo on the Right: They have ceiling high glass sculptures on the 2nd floor where the Youth Center is. That's my sweety you see front and center.

Did I mention that the first level in addition to Library space has some of the cutest shops I've seen. There's a flower shop, the Library Store where you can purchase old library books on the cheap. There's Hemmingway Cafe (must dine there sometime) and another coffee shop/cafe I don't recall the name of as well as a couple other shops.

I ended up getting a small stack of books and the lady that checked me out was very nice. I didn't want to leave but at least I know I can go back whenever I like...even on Sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment